So if you’ve been reading my posts lately you’ll know that I’ve been rather busy. Well. Part of that is the fact that I have moved! That’s right. I’m out all on my own now!
I am so excited to have found the apartment I did. It’s in the exact area I wanted, for a price I like, and it’s pretty much just an awesome space! So having said that, I figured I would show you guys a few photos of my new living quarters…
The entry. <3 my bike.
Thrifted owl figurines!
Dream catcher I made.
Table cloth from a vintage shop!
Sign I made.
Vintage apron. (it was my grandma’s)
Rug in the kitchen.
This is of course a work in progress… (hence why there are no photos of the bedroom.. it’s very much still in progress). There’s tons of windows and hence natural light, and super high ceilings. Plus its located in the historic Over the Rhine area of Cincinnati, Ohio. This area has a not so great history, but recent efforts to revitalize it are going well. Very well. Some of my favorite bars and restaurants are here as well as a super cute vintage shop.
Well that is that. I’ll be posting updates and little home projects on here as I work on my space, so be on the lookout for that!
I know its been awhile. Like I said in my last post… a lot going on right now! I’ll be sure to tell you about all of it once its said and done.
Anyways, today I’m sharing my first experience using pastry puff… Cherry turnovers!
So. Using pasty puff (I used Pepperidge Farm frozen puff pastry) is simple.
All you do is thaw it out according to the instructions on the package and get baking! Like I said earlier, my first attempt with using this product was to create cherry turnovers.
After the pastry puff was thawed out I rolled it out into a big square. (well as much as a square as I could manage.)
I then used a butter knife to divide the dough into smaller squares.
Now is time for the cherries! My first batch I made my squares too small for the amount of cherries I filled them with… the results weren’t pretty…
The pastry puff didn’t stay closed when they baked revealing the cherries and allowing the juice to escape. This resulted in cherry ‘nests’ as I called them, with burnt cherry juice on the bottom… not what I was going for.
If you could get most of the burnt part off it wasn’t bad…
The second batch turned out much better! I used larger squares and a little less cherries!
I also created a glaze for my turnovers consisting of about a cup of powdered sugar mixed with a table spoon or so of milk. Nothing fancy, but tasty nonetheless!
Well, that about sums up my first experience with pasty puff! I certainly hope all of this craziness is over soon so I can find the time to post regularly again!